What does this look like?
The "heterosexual matrix"
How do we know what we know?
Epistemologies of ignorance
The file drawer phenomenon
PRACTICING BETTER SCIENCE
1. Acknowledge that knowledge is constantly EVOLVING
2. SELF-REFLEXIVITY: what assumptions do you hold towards X topic, what is your frame of reference?
3. What might be LEFT OUT? (marginalized groups underrepresented, contradictory data not supplied)
4. How was SAMPLING for X conducted? (could people have been exploited? how well does this sample reflect the diversity of the population?)
5. How might X results be produced and interpreted differently in DIFFERENT CONTEXTS (cultures & social locations)? (were marginalized stakeholders consulted? what values inform the interpretations?)
6. To what extent can X findings be GENERALIZED? (is there enough data to support this conclusion? is extrapolation reasonable?)
7. What MOTIVATED the production of X knowledge? (potential conflicts of interest? "justifying" oppressive practices?)
Taryn Stokowski, 2020